Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Lord Is My Shepherd - An Ancient Hebrew Alphabetic Pictograph

The first of the many names God gives himself is Elohim. In the first sentence of the Bible, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” the Hebrew word translated God is Elohim.
Let's look at what the ancient Hebrew pictographs show us about the name Elohim. The word Elohim is comprised of the Hebrew letters, ALEPH, LAMED, HEY, YOD and MEM.
ALEPH (similar to our letter “A,” and pictured in the ancient Hebrew as an ox head, signifying strength or God – as in the Lord is my strength); LAMED (“L,” pictured as a shepherd’s staff, meaning to shepherd or lead); HEY (“H,” pictured as a man with outstretched arms, meaning God’s grace or to behold); YOD (“Y,” pictured as the arm from the fist to the elbow, meaning my or my hand or works); and MEM (“M,” pictured as waves of water, meaning water or peoples/nations).
In other words, the LORD is my SHEPHERD by his GRACE he provides for MY needs (I SHALL NOT WANT), he takes me by MY HAND and LEADS me by still WATERS. Sounding familiar? That’s right, Psalm 23. So, while the Lord is definitely our strength, I think He primarily wants to be our shepherd.
Too see the visual depiction of Elohim, go to http://beautyofthebible.com/2007/11/14/the-lord-is-my-shepherd/

No comments:

Post a Comment